Monday, January 9, 2017

Gabby and the Cadillac Tramps

In 1994 my Dad drove me, Mike Avila, Steve Klett, John Mcpherson and Simon Bodeaux to see the Cadillac Tramps. I had just turned 16 a few days before the show but the old man was smart not to give me the car. Still rules that he drove us though. We had to sit through some band called Korn that I still can't believe went on to be so much bigger than the Tramps. The Tramps were in my opinion THE BEST Rock N Roll band in Southern California at that time. There was nothing "PUNK" about it to me. Their songs were Rock N Roll and at a time when all I wanted to hear about was negativity, everything Gabby sang about was positive. I had no idea how much of an effect it had on me then but I do now. Years later Rich Silva and I would open up for one of his bands and I can't tell you how stoked we were. We spoke several times over the last few years about booking Manic Hispanic or Flock for Born-Free but sadly his health was never too great around the time of the show so it didn't work out.
Gabby's legacy to me has little to do with anything about Punk Rock and everything to do with being a positive force in this life. I know several people that have told me without him they would not have made it through their drug and alcohol addictions. He helped so many through rough spots in their life and from the outpouring of emotion that I have seen this last week it's safe to say he impacted thousands more in a positive way. If you ever went to see any band that Gabby was in it was way more than a show. You knew you were gonna have fun! You knew you were gonna laugh! I never had a bad time or saw a bad show with Gabby in it. His sense of humor on stage and showmanship is something I will always remember. RIP Gabby and thank you so much for all of the great music!

No comments: